Wednesday, September 23, 2015

First Day of Fall Project

It's officially FALL!! I thought it would be fitting to post this tutorial on how to make pumpkin puree from your own homegrown pumpkins. This pumpkin is my first pumpkin EVER from my own garden! (I have a slight obsession with pumpkins, so this is very exciting for me! :) )


(Isn't it beautiful?!) Cut the stem off and cut in half.


Scoop out the seeds and innards of the pumpkin. (My chickens will have a heyday tonight!!)


Cut a half circle shape on either end of the pumpkin and poke a couple holes in it.


Place upside down on a foil-lined baking sheet.


Bake at 350*F for 1 hour. 


The skin should be golden brown. 


See the syrup oozing out? Mmmmm.



Let it cool.


The skin should peel off easily. If not, scoop out the pumpkin with a spoon.


Place in a blender...


...and puree it. 


Tada! Lovely orange homemade pumpkin puree! Use it in place of canned pumpkin in any recipe. 

Make sure to puree it very well, especially if it is going to be used for pumpkin pie. Once someone has had stringy homemade pumpkin anything, for some reason they are very hesitant to try it again!! 

1 comment: